- "Yes Commander?"
- "I have a green notice icon on my screen without further info."
Beamer tapped the icon again. It was a generic non-critical information icon, a green pulsing triangle. It didn't respond to his taps.
- "That was me Commander. I thought you would like to know that you have just completed your 1000th full system scan."
- "Really? Whoopty-frelling-do, I impress myself. I didn't think that was a statistic we tracked?"
- "Correct Commander. We do however track the number of systems in which you have scanned at least one object, and considering your habit of only scanning entire systems... you can do the maths."
- "That's what I have you for."
- "Of course Commander."
Beamer smiled and leaned back in his chair. He looked at the system map again. It was an unassuming little system, a central White Dwarf, type AB, orbited by two class M Dwarfs. Fitting, in a way.
- "Give me a full rundown of the totals."
Nomad promptly projected the list on the main screen.
1 Unique systems visited 8574
2 System honks sold 7358
3 Systems with at least 1 detailed scan 1000
4 Systems with at least 1 claimed discovery 716
5 Systems with at least 1 unchecked scan 164
6 Systems visited since last claim time 422
7 Distance traveled since last claim time (ly) 16887
8 Estimated worth of unchecked scans 5291200-19882950
9 Total detailed Stellar object scans 1795
10 Total detailed Planetary body scans 5255
11 Stellar object discoveries claimed 1274
12 Planetary body discoveries claimed 3709
13 Earth-like discoveries claimed 13
14 Water world discoveries claimed 104
15 Terraformable world discoveries claimed 208
16 Gas Giants with water based life discoveries claimed 20
17 Ammonia World discoveries claimed 8
18 Gas Giants with ammonia based life discoveries claimed 10
19 Unchecked detailed stellar object scans 295
20 Unchecked detailed planetary body scans 1445
21 Base exploration credits earned 93985773
22 First discovery bonus credits earned 17165088
23 Total number of FSD jumps 9634
24 Total FSD jump distance (ly) 281842
25 Tons of fuel scooped 29243
26 Tons of fuel bought 2969
27 Tons of fuel used for FSD jumps 31707
28 Tons of fuel used for Supercruise 505
29 FSD jump fuel efficiency (t/Kly) 112
30 FSD jump fuel efficiency (ly/Kt) 8888
31 Jumponium depots discovered (all 7 materials) 75
- "Not bad, we've done a lot of scanning this trip. Twice the min, half the max, that should make for about 10 million on top of what the perishables in the passenger cabin will pay."
- "Yes Commander, that seems to be a good rule of thumb. Of course we still have around 15 thousand ly to go back to the bubble."
- "True, we'll do that a little faster though, better get back quick, get these tourists to pay and pick up a new bunch... or maybe I'll go out without a freight this time, I want to make a trip to the south-eastern corner but I haven't seen many science or tourist missions going that way."
- "Probably because it's mostly empty space there Commander."
- "That only makes it easier to spot the interesting things."
- "To quote the prophet Cruyff: 'Every disadvantage has its advantage', Commander."
Beamer laughed. He should probably make some of the ramblings of his older forefathers inaccessible to the ship's AI. He unbuckled and pushed up from his chair, stretching as he slowly floated towards the cockpit exit.
- "Guard the helm for me for a few. I'm going to check the kitchen, I think I have a nice single malt stashed away in one of the cupboards. Seems like a good time for a toast to myself."
- "I'll call you when anything noteworthy happens Commander."